CONTACT Environmental Health Division
355 Texas Avenue
Round Rock, TX 78664

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - noon
Closed daily for lunch:
noon-1:00 p.m.

Restaurant Operating Guide

If you are considering operating a food establishment located in Williamson County or one of its member cities, then a plan review and a pre-operational inspection are required before a permit can be issued. This applies to new construction as well as a change of ownership establishments.

A food establishment means an operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption.  This does not include the sale or giving away of whole produce or prepackaged foods that do not need temperature control for safety, such as unopened bottles of water or bags of chips if the food is from an approved source.

As a restaurant owner of an existing business, constructing a new building/finish-out of space or remodeling/restoring a structure you must follow all guidelines put into place by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). 

  • Complete a Plan Review Application
  • $250 application fee - paid by check, credit card, or cash
  • Supporting documents for application
    • Full menu, including beverages and prepackaged food
    • Manufacturer description/specifications for equipment.
    • Plans must include information about plumbing, mechanical/ventilation, and a finishing schedule that describes walls, floors, and ceilings, such as, color and texture
    • Plans must include a site plan and floor plan to scale with labeled equipment and fixtures -- Construction plans are preferred
If a variance request is made from the original application submission
  • Complete a Variance Request Form
  • An additional fee of $100 is required
  • Supporting variance documentation

Submissions can be sent through email, mail, or in person at our office.

Once you receive an approval letter for your plan review and preparation for the inspection is complete which includes a thorough cleaning of the establishment, the applicant may contact the plan reviewer to schedule an inspection.

When the pre-operational inspection is passed, the license will be issued once payment is made


NOTE:  You must notify local building officials in the area you plan to operate and follow their separate procedures for plan review and permitting to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy.  You may not conduct any part of foodservice operation which includes food storage without a food license even if issued a Certificate of Occupancy (C/O), Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) or TABC license.  

Useful linksDSHS - FAQ for Texas Food Establishment Rules
DSHS - Starting a New Retail Food Establishment
DSHS - Statutes and Laws for Retail Food Establishment
DSHS - Regulatory Clarifications, Guidance Documents & General Publications


    How to make a payment

    What is a New Owner?

    What is a New Establishment?

    What is a Remodel?

    What is an Amended Permit?

    Hot Water Tank Heater Information