Georgetown & Cedar Park Public Health Centers open Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Taylor Public Health Center open Wednesday from 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Call 512-943-3600 to schedule an appointmentAlthough tuberculosis (TB) is uncommon in the United States, about 1 in 3 people around the world are infected with it. TB is a bacterial infection that spreads through the air when infected and contagious people talk, sing, cough, or sneeze. It is not spread through casual contact.
TB usually affects the lungs but can attack any part of the body, including the kidneys, spine, and brain. If not treated properly, TB can be fatal. Certain groups of people, such as those with weakened immune systems, are at a very high risk of developing TB disease once infected.
For more information about TB diagnosis or treatment, contact our offices at 512-248-7651 or visit the following websites:
CDC - Tuberculosis Resources
DSHS - Tuberculosis Resources
Symptoms of TB disease depend on where in the body the TB bacteria are growing. TB bacteria usually grow in the lungs (pulmonary TB). TB disease in the lungs may cause symptoms such as
- a bad cough that lasts 3 weeks or longer
- pain in the chest
- coughing up blood or sputum (phlegm from deep inside the lungs)
Other symptoms of TB disease are
- weakness or fatigue
- weight loss
- no appetite
- sweating at night
Symptoms of TB disease in other parts of the body depend on the area affected.
Tuberculosis Reporting & Referrals
- When submitting a reportable condition of Latent Tuberculosis Infection, please complete the Positive TB Test Report (PPD or IGRA) and fax it to 512-712-1256.
- When referring a patient for TB testing and/or treatment, please complete the Positive TB Test Report (PPD or IGRA) and fax it to 512-712-1256.
- If you suspect a patient of having active pulmonary tuberculosis, please call 512-248-7651 for immediate assistance.
Cost of Treatment
$35.00 for skin testing, $80 for blood testing. Fees include testing and a follow-up visit.
Insurance is not accepted (except for Medicaid) and payment is due at the time of visit. Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted
Tuberculosis Skin & Blood Testing
- Tuberculosis skin testing is provided at all clinic locations by appointment.
- Skin tests are administered every day except Thursdays since they must be read 48-72 hours after administration.
- Both T-Spot and Quantiferon-TB Gold blood tests are provided every day.