Food & Restaurant
Connect With Us
Food Handler Training Requirements
All food employees working within the jurisdiction of Williamson County and Cities Health District require food handler safety training. Food handlers are individuals who work with open or unpackaged food, food equipment or utensils, or food contact surfaces. Food Handlers are required to receive basic training in the safety measures and dangers involved with preparing and handling food.
It is very important to realize that this training is a requirement by ordinance and citations can be given to food handlers and businesses that do not obtain their registration cards. A food handler registration card issued by WCCHD is only valid only in Williamson County.
There are four different options for obtaining the training required to receive a WCCHD Food Handler Registration Card:
| Option 1
||Online Training with WCCHD Vendor|
|• Online Classes are available in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, and Serbo-Croatian
• The $20.00 fee includes training, and a two-year registration with WCCHD
• A WCCHD Food Handler Card can be printed immediately after successfully completing the course and passing the exam
• Register for the course at: www.williamson.statefoodsafety.com.
• Contact WCCHD at 512-943-3620 or 512- 248-7617 for questions about online training
Training by a TX Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Accredited Food Handler Provider
|• Information regarding the DSHS Accredited Food Handler Training Providers can be found online here
• Training can be obtained by any accredited program
• A Certificate of Training will be provided by the accredited program after completion of the course
• Bring the Certificate of Training to one of the WCCHD Public Health Centers with the $10.00 fee to obtain the WCCHD Food Handler Card
|Option 3||Training received by an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Approved Course|
|• Bring the Certificate of Training to one of the WCCHD Public Health Centers with the $10.00 fee to obtain the WCCHD Food Handler Card
• More training may be required by your employer at your place of employment to ensure all requirements of the Texas Food Establishment Rules are met
• View a list of ANSI-accredited Food Handler Training Certificate Programs
Forms and Contact Information
See the Environmental Health Services page office locations and hours.